In view of the recent outbreak of meningitis Marina Medical will like to educate you on the disease and the ways to prevent or minimize the chances of contracting the disease.
DID YOU KNOW THAT?
• · Five states in Nigeria have been hit by the outbreak(Zamfara, Katsina, Sokoto, Kebbi, Niger)
• · There are vaccines against meningitis.
What is Meningitis?
Meningitis is an inflammation (swelling) of the protective membranes covering the brain and spinal cord known as the meninges. This inflammation is usually caused by an infection of the fluid surrounding the brain and spinal cord.
Meningitis is usually caused by bacteria or viruses.
Symptoms/Signs of Meningitis
• a fever
• stiff neck
• sensitivity to bright light
• decreased appetite
• altered mental status
Who is at Risk?
• People with low immunity e.g people withHIV/AIDS, autoimmune disorders, chemotherapyetc
• People sleeping in crowded spaces
• Pregnant women.
• Age: especially children under the age of 5years old and elderly.
Prevention of Meningitis:
• Avoid close contact with someone who has meningitis eg kissing and body secretions
• Get Vaccinated if available.
Immediately you notice signs of meningitis, kindly visit your nearest hospital for care.
Knowledge is power. Stay Safe!!!